Velvet Pumpkins DIY
We had such a blast making Velvet Pumpkins for our Thanksgiving table. They are so simple, even a beginner DIY lover can do it. What's the best part? They have a huge, unique impact for your tablescape or decor for your home. We made them in a variety of sizes and colors to add additional dimension to our table.
- Velvet fabric
- Pillow stuffing
- Pumpkin stems
- Thread to match your fabric
- Hand sewing needle
- Styrofoam ball
- Hot Glue
- Gather up your left over pumpkins from Halloween. Cut off the stem, including the base, with a knife. Some stems may just pop off. Let your stems dry out over night.
- Cut your velvet into a circle quite a bit larger than your styrofoam ball. An easy way to do this is to start with a square piece of fabric and fold it into a triangle 2 times. Now you cut a 1/4 of a circle on two of corners. When you unfold your fabric you will have an even circle.
- Thread your sewing needle with double thread. Around the perimeter of the fabric (unfolded) you will do a basting stitch all the way around.
- Cut a small piece off the bottom of your styrofoam ball, creating a flat surface. This is to assure your completed pumpkin sits flat.
- Place the styrofoam ball, flat side down, in the center of your fabric, velvet facing down. You can start cinching your fabric now by pulling on both ends of your stitch. This will help you see how much stuffing to add. Add your pillow stuffing around the ball to make the pumpkin shape.
- Once you have you pillow stuffing in, pull the strings tight and tie them in a knot to close your pumpkin top.
- Now you are ready to glue on your pumpkin stem! Using your hot glue gun, glue on your stem and place it on the top of your pumpkin covering the cinching.
Send us pictures of your version of the Velvet Pumpkin DIY. Good Luck!
C & J